Friday, November 28, 2014

Cemetery decorations

Once again I am very disappointed with the cemetery Kayla is buried in.  It's never been my favorite, the appearance just isn't very nice.  Not far from Kayla's grave is an open area where they store vaults...just out in the open.  It looks very creepy and I can't understand why they can't just put up a small section of fence, or plant some pine trees or something to hide them.  The roads are also crap, they are always full of potholes, after a rain they are flooded.  Again, are you that strapped for cash that you can't pave the damn roads?  It's not some backwoods family cemetery where no one comes to visit anymore, it would be nice to be able to get to my daughter's grave without being bounced all over the car.  The ONLY reason we chose that cemetery is location.  Plain and simple, we had to have our baby close by.

So my latest rant, the decorations.  I understand that cemeteries have regulations about what is allowed and how often the decorations are allowed to stay.  Anytime we go to my mom's cemetery, the things we brought last time are usually gone.  I get that, the cemetery would look like crap if you never had any regulations, people would probably try to park the deceased's favorite couch on their grave if you let them.  Kayla's cemetery is no different, the sign when you drive in has the dates in which they do fall and spring clean up.  However, in the almost two years we've been going there, the baby garden has always seemed to be an exception.

We've always had at least 3 or 4 small items on Kayla's grave, including a teddy bear, a pinwheel, etc....other graves also have stuffed animals and pinwheels and such.  One grave, the family obviously couldn't afford a grave marker so they just had a generic garden stone with a pretty saying on it to mark the grave.  I went today, and everything was gone.  Everything.  Her stuffed animal, the pinwheel her Nana gave her on the day of her funeral, the butterfly stake we got her, a bouquet of fake flowers so she would always have flowers.

All of the other baby graves were bare as well, including the garden stone to mark that baby's grave.  I am so angry and sad.  If we had known that they would do this clean up, we would have made sure to take those items before the clean up was done.  I completely understand the rules, but when they have never applied those rules to that section before, I think it is bullshit that they suddenly did this.  Especially that little girl's marker.  It was flat on the ground just like the regulation ones.  Is the cemetery really going to go broke because this one family couldn't afford a $1000 stone? 

I can understand the rules for the rest of the cemetery, but losing a baby is so damn unnatural and horrible, I don't see what is wrong with allowing us to keep sentimental items at their graves all the time.  And even if they decided this year it needed to be cleaned up, there are only about a dozen graves in the ground over there (as opposed to the mausoleums), would it have been that hard to send out a notice to the parents to let us know that even though in the past the decorations were overlooked, this year they would not be?

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry, Amy. :( My heart aches for all the parents who lost the things they left for their babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm sad for the others too, especially the one that lost their marker.

      Delete
  2. Have you talked to the manager of the cemetery? There has to be someone who should hear about this. I'd hate for it to happen over and over.

    So sorry that they took all of the special things off of the graves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did send a letter a week or so ago, so far I haven't heard anything. Thank you!

      Delete