Saturday, July 19, 2014

Happy like a room without a roof

So the other day was like Christmas.  Ever have one of those days where everything just works out well, you're in a good mood and you just think to yourself, I'm so happy?  That was yesterday.  I was picking up Emily from my dad's, and talking about the hot tub we almost purchased but decided it is not financially smart right now.  I then mentioned how maybe instead we could get a jet tub for our future basement bathroom, it would be gobs cheaper both to buy and maintaine, and it is functional as it would be the tub/shower in the second bathroom.

So he says, your uncle has one he would probably give you.  Say again?  My uncle had an accident a few years ago and is now paralyzed from the waist down.  When he put in his handicapped shower he apparently had to get rid of the jet tub and it's just sitting in his garage.  My dad thinks he would just give it to us, happy to see it put to use.  We would of course offer him something, but no matter what he would charge us for it, it would be cheaper than new!  So excited!

So I call my husband on my way home and he said he went to the red wing store (a very expensive boot/work shoe store)....I was like oh no, that place always costs us money.  He pretty much has to get a new pair of work boots every year because he wears them out so much.  He took his pair in to have them re-soled or whatever the word is, and the guy was like no no no, how long have you had these.  Ryan responded, about three months.  The guy was like no, these have not held up at all for just three months, so he gave him a brand new pair of boots for free!  Holy crap!  Those things are like $300!

Then I get home and we had a letter from the city.  Starting in September they are switching to city provided trash cans so the truck can just pick them up by the handle and dump them in.  They're huge, they hold about 3 regular cans worth of stuff, they have wheels and match our recycle bin.  The best news, it has a heavy lid to keep pests out.  The raccoon buffet restaurant in our backyard will be closing.  They're terrible, they either drag the bag out of the can, tear it open and go to town, or they get in the can and dig in.  It's always a mess, there is always garbage on our driveway, I step on chicken bones, they drag the garbage all around the yard, yuck!

They've also told their friends, so it's quite a party every night.  We've even tried mint smelling garbage bags that claim to repel rodents, but I think they just use them as an after meal mouthwash to freshen their breaths.  I cannot wait to get these new cans....yes I get very excited about city issued garbage cans.  So glad we didn't buy new ones ourselves last summer.

So in additon to all the plans I am making once I am not working the 9-5 (8-5 but whose counting?) I've decided to try my hand at an Etsy shop.  There are a few things I've made for myself for fun, and I think with some precision and a plan for mass (or more than one) production I could make some really nice items to sell.  The one I plan to do is your first dance lyrics printed on a photo mat framing your wedding picture.  I think I could also do a good job making decorative baby names for the nursery wall, and I made myself a picture of our wedding date and framed it, and I made one for my stepmom for Christmas with hers and my dads anniversary date.  Those would be easy/fun to make.  I also made the ringbearer pillow for our wedding and despite not being a great seamstress, it turned out pretty darn good. 

I have a newer sewing machine and my MIL said she would teach me how to sew.  I know enough to hold two pieces of fabric together, ie our ring bearer pillow, a pair of pants that need hemmed, some bare bones curtains in the bathroom.  But I want to be able to sew well, good quality items and not want to kick my machine every time I don't know how to do something.  So she's going to really teach me how to use it and how to sew better so I could add RB pillows to my shop.
But my favorite part is the name of my shop, it's going to be KayKatDesigns, for Kayla Kathryn.  I'm also excited about keeping the books for my shop and seeing the money pour in, haha.  I have no delusions of making this a lucrative career, but I think they would be fun projects to make for people and make a little cash on the side.  I wish this were my last week of work, I am eager to get started.
And last night, I finally got Emily to laugh.  She had so far laughed for my brother, SIL, and MIL, but finally did it for me last night.  It was music to my ears.  I love that little bundle more than life itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment