Monday, September 15, 2014

Firsts

So many new firsts lately, my baby girl is getting so big.  But it's fun, I'm loving this age.  A couple weeks ago we went out to dinner and tried a restaurant high chair for the first time.  She did well, between the cart cover and stuffing a couple blankets in behind her she fit just fine.  It's nice to have her at the table instead of on the floor in the carseat, or trying to find someplace for the carseat.

She got a little crabby and we had to take her out but dinner started at 7 and we usually start her bedtime routine around 7:30, so we were out a bit late for her but it couldn't be helped.  We went out to dinner last night for our niece's birthday and Emily sat in the highchair again and did really good....until she launched forward and bumped her head on the table.  Poor baby, but she was ok. 

Last week I took her for a walk at this park where I used to work.  It was my first job at a city pool and the park is behind the pool so we walked around the track twice.  It was so weird being back there, I don't think I have been back there since my last day working there in 1997.  That's where I met my first boyfriend.  As I was walking I was just looking around and could remember everything so vividly, the place I spent 6 days a week at for three summers, seems like just yesterday.  I can't believe that was almost 20 years ago.  So after our walk I put Emily in a swing, she really liked it.  She held onto the chains like a big girl and she'd laugh everytime it came back toward me.  I thought she would be too little for the seat but she fit pretty well.

Then I sat her on my lap and swung a little on the big swings.  Holy crap, my hips were a bit smaller the last time I was on those.  As we were swinging this little girl came up to us, she wanted to see Emily.  Her grandma said her name is Julianna, so cute.  She couldn't have been more than a year old and she kept saying baba, baba.  I think it is so cute when little kids love babies, like they don't know they are still babies themselves.  She kept touching her hand and stroking her hair and Emily just looked at her like what is going on.

Then she'd run over and look in her stroller.  We were getting ready to leave so Julianna's mom was like come on, they're going bub-byes and she started crying.  She just loved Emily, so cute.  My little niece and nephew love her too, everytime they see her they run over and coo all over her, aww baby Emily.  They always want to feed her and hold her.  I'm not too shocked that my neice loves her, she's 5 but I'm kind of surprsed my nephew is so taken by her, he's 8, I figured he'd be too cool for babies.  He melted my heart when they came to see us in the hospital.  He said to Ryan, so if baby Kayla were still alive you would have two daughters?  I love that they remember her and talk about her.  Then they kept looking at the controls at the foot of my bed and I was like oh don't touch those, it might shoot me out into the hallway.  They thought that was so funny.

Our friend's boys love her too, as do my best friend's sons.  I'm so glad she's got so many older cousins and friends to look out for her and play with her, just in case she never ends up having any earth siblings.  Between her cousin, Amanda's boys and Dan's boys she'll have plenty of "big brothers" to watch out for her.

Saturday was the second annual Rock N Walk in remembrance of Kayla.  It was a nice day, a little chilly.  We ended up raising $580, which was more than our goal of $300!  My dad made fun of me for having Emily bundled up like it's winter but I still don't think she was warm enough, when the wind picked up it was really chilly.  We got a bundle me for her carseat from our shower, but I never used it because she was so tiny leaving the hospital and it kind of enveloped her.  Oddly enough it had been in my backseat until a couple weeks ago when I cleaned out the car.  So I put it in her carseat to go to dinner yesterday and she loved it.  As soon as I put her in she got this mystified look on her face and she pulled it up over her and felt the softness.  It was really cute.

So last night we tried "solids" for the first time.  More solid than formula of course but that shit is so damn runny.  We tried rice cereal first.  She made a few faces, but she really liked the spoon.  She didn't seem to be a huge fan.  My friend had given us some jars of baby food that her kids were done with but hadn't expired yet so I tried some sweet potato.  A few funny faces but by halfway through she seemed to really like it, and tonight she was so excited when I put her in her highchair.  She's so cute, she gets it all over her face, on her bib, her hands.  Thank goodness we had an extra tub for wipes we can keep on the kitchen table for after feedings. 

I bought a little steamer from Babies R Us and made her some carrot puree tonight and also some banana.  I fed her a tiny bit of carrot and she seemed to like it but I'll wait on the banana.  I want her to try mostly veggies first because I have a feeling she will love fruit and not want to go back to veggies.  I love my little oxo food trays, I have three trays in the freezer right now so I can make more than two weeks of food at a time and freeze them.  I'll keep some jars on hand but I hope to make most of her food, I'm home, no reason not to.  And the stuff I made tonight would have just gotten thrown out so it was cool to not waste food and get baby food out of it.

When I first started staying home I thought maybe I would start cloth diapering since I was now home and would have time to do the laundry.  So I watched a cloth diapering 101 on youtube and was all excited, I was ready to go order some.  Then I watched a second video and was like, eh, it looks like too much work.  Thankfully making baby food doesn't seem to be as much work.

Here is my baby eating her first big girl food and on the swing





No comments:

Post a Comment