Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Saliva says go!

Ahh, I'm so excited.  A couple weeks ago I was reading a baby book and in it they mentioned an ovulation microscope.  I'd never heard of this so I did some research and found one for $30 online.  It works like an OPK, except instead of urine, you place a drop of saliva on the lens of the microscope, wait a few minutes for it to dry and then take a peek.  The directions shows pictures of what fertile and non-fertile looks like....fertile display a "ferning pattern" which basically looks like heavy frost on a window when it gets that crystalized look.

I was a little hesitant of it, especially the spending more money part.  Between HPTs, OPKs, this book, charting software, two BBTs (the first one sucked, had to buy another) and preseed we have easily spent over $200 in the last 10 months on TTC stuff.  That's really not that much, but considering you could get away with probably less than $50 if you get pregnant right away, and also the fact that we have no idea how much longer it will take and how much more money it will take, spending less would be nice.  And of course the fact that the majority of that money went to stuff that you pee on and throw away, we have quite literally been pissing our money away.

Ok end of rant....but then I decided the scope would might be a good purchase because you buy it once and you're done, unlike OPK stashes that need to be replenished frequently, and when you have loooong cycles like I am in now, 2 OPKs a day for who knows how many days hoping to catch an LH surge can lead to frequent purchases.  So I bought it....for the last three weeks, nothing.  My spit looks spotty, just like the picture of non-fertile.  There were a few days when I thought maybe if I looked hard enough I could see the smallest amount of ferning, but who knows.

This morning began CD61 for me, and I looked in the scope like usual, didn't see much but then my eye caught an area of saliva at the edge of the lense.  For some reason sometimes its hard to get it in the center of the lense.  There is was, a big beautiful section of ferning.  There was no mistaking it, I knew my eyes weren't playing tricks on me.  Of course I had already used the bathroom, but I was able to produce a tad more to use an OPK, negative of course.  But the website that I got the scope from said since the scope measures electrlytes in your saliva brought on by an increased amount of estrogen, it can pick up pending ovulation signs quicker than the LH surge that OPKs pick up.  So I am praying this is the real deal, that it will continue to show ferning, that my OPKs will agree (I still have some left, why not use them to confirm) and I will actually O. 

I know ovulating doesn't mean I will get pregnant for sure, but obviously not ovulating means I definitely won't, so I am walking on air right now.  I had spotting that I counted as a period in January, but honestly given my crappy long cycle this month, that may not have been my period after all.  Regardless, I was not able to confirm O in January, so the last time I Od for sure was in November, when I consequently got pregnant for those few short weeks.....so clearly I am thrilled as hell to O for possibly the first time in 3 months.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment