Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Christmas eve (eve) box

Tonight Emily opened her Christmas eve box.  We do it on eve eve since we have plans with family tomorrow night.  Her face lit up when she saw the package, and she did really well tearing the wrapping paper off.  She got all excited when she saw her Minnie Mouse PJ's, she exclaimed Minnie!  So I let her choose which ones she wanted to wear since she got two pair, and then she took out the movie theater candy and had fun shaking it.  Then I showed her the movie she got, which was Aladdin.

So we ordered pizza, ate dinner and all watched the movie together.  She liked it, but she was up and about a lot.  I guess I should have gotten her Enchanted.  She'll sit and watch that from start to finish, despite seeing it at least half a dozen times so far.  A very nice night.

Then I had to go and open an article on FB about a woman who contacted Delta airlines about bringing her pumped milk home on her flight (she pumped for 2.5 weeks while away on business), she did exactly what she was told and then told at the airport that she couldn't check it.  I'm trying, I am really really trying to A. not read articles that I know are going to raise my blood pressure, and B. not read the comment section that will make it go through the roof.

Tonight I was not successful.  I am not sure which is more terrifying; the amount of people that clearly did not read the article and then make some ignorant comment, the people that comment on breastfeeding that do not know how it works, or the people who seem angry that nursing mothers exist.

The first people, there is no excuse, it's just laziness and they want to hear themselves speak.  But if you don't understand how nursing works, please don't make comments about how the mother should have just not pumped for that entire time (ahhhh, it was 18 days) or ask why she needs to carry it in a cooler when she has natural milk holders.  This one man asked, hopefully joking, why she needed to pump when her natural milk holders have temperature and volume control.  I told him to make sure to turn down the volume control on his penis the next time he has to pee so he can go a little later.

In their defense, I know many men (and women) don't understand.  My husband didn't understand why I needed to pump at work when I went back.  But he also doesn't get on social media and try to tell people what they should do in regard to a body function that he A. does not have and B. does not understand.  Then there are the woman/mother/nursing haters.  Ok, I get it, the media shoves nursing down our throats.  They make the non-issue of nursing in public into a big deal because it is not a good day in the media unless a bunch of people are arguing and being hateful to one another over an issue.  I am also not a breatfeeding pusher either.  I think it's great that women can nurse, but some cannot (me), and some choose not to (possibly me if we have another).  I care that a baby gets fed, no matter how it happens.  But if a woman does chose to nurse, I absolutely think she has the right to do so, and be allowed the rights she is given to make that happen.

This woman was not seeking special treatment.  She did not demand that she be able to check a cooler full of a substance that isn't allowed on the plane.  Breast milk is allowed on planes, she was proactive by making the phone call, finding out how to check it, in what quantities and using what procedures, and then she was told the complete opposite when she arrived at the airport.  Had this been a diabetic bringing their testing supplies and insulin on board, people would have been outraged.  If this had been a person bringing their oxygen tank on board, people would have been angry if they were told they couldn't.  But this woman, who was just trying to keep her supply up and bring home a stash of milk for her baby, who no doubt likely needed it as she probably went through whatever stash was saved while mom was gone, just wanted to get home to her family and not waste countless hours of pumping.  She took the correct steps, and she was then told they were wrong by employees who clearly did not have the proper training.  Take away the fact that she is a nursing mother, and focus on the fact that she was a customer who was given wrong information that negatively impacted her experience on a flight where she was a paying customer.  How is that wrong to complain?  And everyone knows, if you want something done these days, it has to go on social media for the company to give a damn.

Back when Buy Buy Baby screwed me by not correctly handling my registry after Kayla passed, I complained to two different avenues of customer service.  I received nothing but rude attitudes and the run around, and they basically said it wasn't their fault.  But when my SIL posted my complaint on social media, they jumped on it, and kissed our butts to make it right.  Gee, I wonder why this woman's story went viral.

We are flying in a few months, and it will be my first time flying with a kid.  I am terrified, not only because flying can be stressful in and of itself (plus my husband is a nervous wreck on flights), but I am nervous about keeping my daughter happy, not angering the other passengers if she cries, and getting there on time and getting everything checked and carried on correctly.  I will spend a lot of time researching our airlines' rules about what to do with strollers, car seats, and how to bring milk (cows milk) on board, so I would be livid if I did all that, and then was told we could not bring her stroller, or car seat on for whatever reason.

So, I leave you all for tonight with this....this is how I feel when people talk out of their ass about breastfeeding, or get all angry and bitter because a mom is trying to feed her child.


No comments:

Post a Comment