Saturday, May 14, 2016

Potty training day 20, sickness and tantrums

So we're all sick here, and I feel like I am dying.  It sucks to be sick, and it sucks when your kid is sick, but it sucks even worse when you and your kid are sick at the same time.

I took Em to the doctor on Wednesday because she was still breaking out in hives as of the night before, and a few days before that she had started coughing and sneezing.  I didn't know if they were related, but she looked like she felt awful, and she had that droopy, I feel terribly look in her eyes again.  It's amazing how healthy she was for the first two years, and now she's sick left and right.

She was not happy at the doctor, she cried getting weighed, getting measured, having her heart and lungs listened to, and especially having her ears checked.  So also had a low grade fever.  The doctor said her hives and other symptoms could have been something she came into contact with outside, and not necessarily something she ate.  So she said I should give her children's Claritin once a day and she also prescribed an antibiotic.  I wasn't real sure why she gave her that, she mentioned something about possibly developing an ear infection, but I don't think she said she has one.  She was having a hard time looking in her ears because she was squirming so much, so maybe she figured with the fever she'd just prescribe that on the safe side.  I should have asked, but I just wanted out of there.  Emily was so upset.

She normally likes taking medicine, she'll even ask for it when she doesn't need it so I give her some grape juice in her syringe but she did not like the amoxicillin.  I think because of how thick it is.  So she choked it down that night, but the next morning she wouldn't take it so we put it in a cup and called it princess juice.  Down the hatch it went!  Since then we've been mixing it in applesauce or oatmeal.  I think she is getting better, her sneezing and running nose is practically gone, she is still coughing but hopefully that is coming to an end, and she hasn't broken out in hives since.

But she is cranky as all hell.  Any other time she has been sick she is kind of lethargic and just cuddles.  But this time she falls to pieces over every little thing.  Lately she has been saying words that I cannot understand, so like this morning she kept pointing to a picture of herself and kept saying what sounded like flies.  I thought ok maybe she is saying flowers so I said yeah you have flowers on your shirt, and she would get frustrated and keep saying it over and over.  With me being sick too, I am tired and low on patience so I was like ahhhh, what do you want me to do about it????  What about the flies or flowers?

She keeps doing stuff that she knows she is not supposed to do, and when I tell her to stop she gets mad and goes around hitting things or clearing off tables, throwing stuff.  Ugh, I hope this is just a result of being sick, or if it is a phase, I hope it ends soon.  I mean she has tantrums, she's two, of course she does.  But these last few days have been hell on earth.  Thursday night my chest started hurting and I was coughing.  Yesterday I felt so so but today I have been so tired, my jaw aches, my chest hurts and the coughing is worse, my ears are plugged and I am sneezing and have a runny nose.

So I don't know if we both have allergies, or if she has a cold and I caught it too.  Usually allergies don't bother me for more than a day or two, and I am not real itchy, and the jaw ache isn't really consistent with allergies, so I am thinking she has a cold, I caught it, but she also has allergies which was the hives.  We're supposed to go out to dinner tomorrow night to celebrate our niece's college graduation.  I think we'll still go, I need to get out of the house.  I don't think I have left the house since Wednesday and today is Saturday.  I also need to get out and buy Em a new nose frida.  We had one but all I can seem to find is the tube.  She loves to get into everything and then she scatters pieces of things all over.  So even if I found the other parts I don't think I would find them all, so I'll just go get her a new one.  As soon as she was down for a nap today I crawled into bed too and went to sleep, and then my husband got her when she woke up and let me sleep another hour and a half.  I so needed that.

On the bright side, potty training is going great.  Just last week I was very frustrated, I felt like since putting clothes on her, all the progress I thought we had made in block one went out the window.  I felt like the days she didn't have an accident were just luck.  But then, just like the book said it would, something clicked and now she is doing great.  A few days ago I was getting her ready for bed and she already had her bedtime diaper on.  She started whining and tugging at it and saying pee pee.  So I took her diaper off, she ran to the potty and pooped!  She uses pee pee and poop interchangeably, but I was still surprised when she pooped instead of peed.

It's the second time she's pooped in the potty, but I think the first time was just because it was a time when my MIL prompted her to go, she sat down to pee and ended up pooping while she was there.  But for her to recognize that she had to poop, and to not take advantage of pooping in the diaper that was already on so she could go poop in the potty is huge I think.

Today was day 3 in a row with no accidents (and all this past week the accidents have mostly been because I waited too long to take her to the potty and she absolutely couldn't hold it anymore).  Today with us all being sick, I just couldn't adult today, and I put her in a diaper.  I don't recommend this, it was probably a very bad idea and I am just lucky it didn't confuse the hell out of her.  So when my husband got her up from nap he just followed my lead and put a clean diaper back on her.  This was at 3pm, and at 7 she came to me and said pee pee so I took her to the potty, we took off her (dry) diaper and she peed in the potty.  I was so proud (and thankful that my laziness didn't screw things up).  That's not to say she'll never have another accident, but I think for all intents and purposes, I can say she is fully (daytime) trained!

Well I'm off to take a hot shower and go to bed, and hopefully I feel better in the morning, and I am so thankful I don't have any work to do this weekend.  My new job is going great, I love it.  I've mostly been working at night once Em goes to bed, and most nights I have to force myself to stop working after a while.  It's really a dream come true job, and even better that it allows me to work some, and still be home with my daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment