Friday, April 29, 2016

Potty training, day 5, block 2

Ok so today will be my last summary of the day's potty training events, until she really gets it.  I'm mostly documenting this so that if we do end up having another kid, I can remember how PTing went with Em, and it would likely be useful for any readers who want to try this method and want to know others' experience.

Today was a bit of a set back.  She had her first poo.  I tried to get her to go potty several times, which she was resisting more than yesterday.  Since we added clothes, she has not initiated going potty herself at all.  She did it all the time when naked, so that stinks.  Finally around noon I noticed she seemed to be shying away behind a piece of furniture, so we ran to the potty but it was too late, the poo was already in her pants.

So we stripped the pants off and set her on the potty.  She did manage to poo a little more and pee in the potty.  I have no idea if that little bit of poo in the potty gave her any kind of confidence to do it again in the future.  So we got cleaned up, and into new pants.  About 30 minutes later she wet her pants.  Onto pair number 3.  My MIL was coming to get her since she didn't get her the other day and she said they were going to go shopping.  I reminded her that she might want to keep it a short shopping trip since she doesn't have a diaper on.  She asked if she has training pants or a pull up and I said neither.

I am certain all of the grandparents think I am absolutely insane.  I know this is very different from how they did it, but if in another week or two she is completely trained, I think this in limbo period will be well worth it.  So I gave her a puppy pad to put in the car seat and suggested she take it in the store as well.  A few hours went by and I hadn't heard anything, so I text her, asking how it went.  She said she did great in the store, no potty till they got home.  Whew!

Though she did wet her pants again once they were home (onto pair number 4), but luckily she was standing on the dog rug when she did it.  But she did get her to the potty quickly and she peed some more in the potty.  I told her to go ahead and put her in a diaper once she got her jammies on.  She was in her jammies when I got there to pick her up, and I stayed for about an hour, and then there was probably another hour before she went to bed once we left, picked up dinner, and she played for a bit once we were home.  So she was likely in a diaper for at least 2-3 hours before bed tonight.  I hope that didn't confuse the hell out of her.  She also pooped again, in her diaper.  So I am not sure if she was holding it till she had a diaper on or not.

So....I know it is only day 5, but I am really hoping she begins to progress more with pants on.  Even if she won't initiate, I hope she at least will go when I prompt her to.  Today and sometimes yesterday she either protested, or cried and begged to be let off the toilet.  The author said there will come a point where you worry they'll never "get it", a few pairs of wet pants are completely normal and you'll feel helpless and want to just go back to diapers.  I think I am officially there.  Her enormous success on the naked days got my hopes up that this was going to be a snap, so I am getting a little nervous now.  I am off to re-read the info about block two.  Maybe now that we are a few days into block 2, I will read something I had forgotten about, a tip that will make all the difference.  Or at least some reassurance that everything is normal, and one of these days everything will just click and poof, she'll be trained.

I put in our new toilet seat today.  We had been wanting a new one anyway, so I decided to get one with the toddler seat built in.  It's so cute, it's held up into the lid by a magnet, and when you need it, just pull it down.  It will be so nice to not have that stupid ring (that doesn't really fit well into an oblong toilet seat) that we have to keep moving each time we need to go.  It will likely still be a while before she uses the big toilet, but she's so tiny, I think that seat will work for her for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment