Saturday, February 22, 2014

We have a crib! 36 wks 2 days

Well, we've had it since December, but it is now assembled, the sheets are on, the mesh bumpers are on, it looks like a baby bed, and Boo won't have to sleep in a dresser drawer!  Tomorrow we're going to do the dresser and hopefully get that finished.  I'm nervous about it though because I know it will be a lot more complicated than the crib, but once it's done, all of the furniture is done and I can finally get all of the baby stuff out of the living room and kitchen, get her clothes put away, etc.

It will be such a weight off my shoulders.  We ended up having to rearrange the furniture.  Once the stuff is assembled, the room becomes a lot smaller than we realized, so we had to swap spots between the crib and the rocker/nightstand, but I like how it is now.  I hung her Monkey decals on the wall and opened some things and put them in her diaper caddy, decided what things to put in the nightstand drawer.  It's starting to look like a nursery.  I'm exhausted now though....I moved the furniture around by myself, it wasn't that heavy and it just slid across the carpet.  I'll post pictures once it's all done.  And, today is exactly one month from my due date! 

I also got up pretty early for a Saturday, after having gone to bed late.  I was up worried about my dad till like 3am, and then my brother was texting me at 6:30 am with updates.  We text back and forth for like half an hour but I went back to sleep because Boo was crazy active this morning and she'll usually calm down and go to sleep when I do...or at least her kicking doesn't wake me up once I am asleep if she is still up.  But then my dad called around 8:30 so I got up to talk to him and stayed up from there.

So his thumb is fine, it had a bad cut but it wasn't severed at all.  I guess he did grab his glove and brought it with him, assuming both fingers were still in the glove but only his index finger was, which was too mangled to reattach.  They could have reattached his middle finger if they had it, and it sounds like by the time they got it, reattaching it would have only been for aesthetic purposes.  But he decided if it was useless, it would only get in the way and he would be better off with stumps.  So he lost both fingers from the knuckle up.

I think he was very lucky for many reasons.  When it comes to a table saw, a slip in the other direction would have easily taken off his whole hand, or cut him bad enough that he bled out too much....I don't even want to think about that scenario.  I am also thankful he didn't lose his thumb.  He'll have to adjust to his fingers being gone, and find new ways to do things, but without a thumb I think things would be a lot harder.  I'm also happy that he does at least have the stubs from the knuckle down, at the very least he can pinch things between the stub and his thumb to pick stuff up. 

So I talked to him for about 10 minutes before he went back for surgery.  He said he had a good nurse last night, her name was Emily, and her middle initial is K also :)  I'm sure he happily told her about his granddaughter that's soon to be on her way.  He said he was in quite a bit of pain but they had just given him morphine so hopefully he felt better soon.  I asked him if he knew how it happened and he said no, it all happened so fast he doesn't know how his fingers got to be where they shouldn't.  I told him I was sorry I couldn't be there but he understood and said there was nothing I could do sitting in a hospital waiting room.  He had to get going and get ready for surgery, he told me he loved me and I said the same.  My dad and I are not mushy I love you people....the last time we said it was when we lost Kayla, and before that was my wedding day.  I don't need to hear it all the time, but it was nice to hear it today.

So my stepmom, brother and SIL got there around noon today.  They let me know when he got out of surgery and that he was in good spirits.  He was released late this afternoon and they took him back to his place where they're spending the night and then they're all coming home tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment