Thursday, May 17, 2012

Day 3

Well today is day three of provera, I cannot wait to finish it and get my period.  I will be taking my last pill a week from today and then my doctor said I should get my period within 3-7 days.  I hope it's on the shorter end of that spectrum, I think I've waited long enough.  I'm happy to be on it, but now that I am I'm worried about a few things.  Before I was taking action I could just be hopeful, but now that I am on the path, the hopefuls will become a reality.  I am worried that once I get my period I won't ovulate, and just enter yet another long cycle.  I am worried I won't be able to get my weight down fast enough to make a difference.  But I'm trying to stay positive.

So back in December when I called for a prenatal appointment I was informed that my long time gyn no longer does OB.  I like the office so I figured I'll just pick one of the two women OBs that are there.  When I was in the other day the nurse asked if I know who I'll want as my doctor when I do get pregnant....just going on their picture alone I told her which one I was thinking about....I'm not sure why, she just looked friendly.  Not that the other one didn't, but when all you have to go on is someones looks, you make decisions based on that.  That's how I picked my real estate agent...she looked friendly in her pic, and she was, so bonus!

The nurse said well the only problem with Dr. Thompson is she is difficult to get an appointment with, you'd have a much easier time getting in to see Dr. Zhu.  Since I will be taking time off work, and my personal days are limited ease of getting an appointment is pretty important.  I cringe when I say this though, but Dr. Zhu is Asian and I am a little concerned if she has any kind of accent.  I could care less that she is Asian, but if she is at all difficult to understand, I would prefer not to have her as my doctor.  Having a baby is going to scare the crap out of me and I need someone I will feel comfortable with and can understand.  But I would feel like a crap head asking the nurse about her speech because clearly I would only be asking because she looks Asian.

So anyway, I think I'll go to her to start because she is easier to get an appointment with, and if for some reason it isn't a good fit, I'll see if I can switch to the other one.  Poeple do that right, switch doctors part way through pregnancy?  Ugh, I so wish my regular gyn was still doing OB.  Yeah he's a man so that can be a little awkward, but he's older and so so nice, so I never felt awkward.  The other day during my exam he asked again what I do for a living and when I told him I work at a brokerage firm he went off in a rant about stock prices and his 401K...he does that a lot, gets you engaged in a conversation during the exam.  I was pretty nervous about it this year because since the vaginismus I'm so afraid it will hurt, and that of course makes it hurt because I am tense...but his conversation totally took my mind off from the exam and it barely was more than a tad uncomfortable.

But such is life, I can't have him for my OB.  I looked for some reviews online about Dr. Zhu but the only ones I found were rating ones (as opposed to people being able to say something about her) and one written one.  The rating ones were good, she got 3.5 stars out of 4 and was given a score of excellent.  But the written one was not a fan of her, saying she told her patient she would "die" if she chose a home birth like they were exploring.  Of course there are two sides to every story, it's very possible she didn't say it quite so bluntly, but honestly I am not too surprised that an ob/gyn would be opposed to a home birth.  They were trained and work in hospitals....and years and years ago childbirth was very dangerous for women but the risk has been drastically reduced due to modern medicine.  I get that a woman would like to have a peaceful, relaxing experience, but this isn't a spa.  We're not getting our toes done or a massage, we're squeezing a human being out of our uterus....I'll opt for a hospital where I can be monitored and have life saving equipment if need be.  Besides, I didn't even know ob/gyns did home briths....I thought if you opted for that you get a midwife or a doula (I don't even know what a doula is).  Maybe I am just incredibly misinformed, but those are my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment