Friday, May 18, 2012

Vacation time

Ugh, I had better get pregnant soon or this is going to be a loooooong year.  I have a weeks vacation coming up in June.  I debated, did the math, debated some more and finally decided to keep it.  The reason I was debating is, I need two weeks vacation/sick time to take up the slack and receive 100% payment to go along with the 11 weeks paid time I'll get off.  If I do not have the full two weeks, it will be unpaid time off.  Not a huge deal, but if I can at all help it I would like to get paid.  So I was trying to figure out, if I take this week in June, and I get pregnant NOW, by the time I'm ready to deliver I would just barely have two weeks saved up....but then I tried figuring for the worst, what if I went into labor as early as 30 weeks (very early, but I was erring on the side of caution).

Finally I said screw it, I'm taking the week off in June.  At the worst I might be a few days short, and I think we can survive a couple days unpaid, and that's IF I even get knocked up soon.  I am in bad need of a vacation and I don't want to go rearranging my life on the chance I could get pregnant soon.

Well my work just acquired a new company and the conversion will be taking place this winter/spring.  In order to prepare for it, all extended vavation requests (anything more than 3 days) from October to March of next year will most likely be denied.  Now, I am a hard worker, but I am not part of that 57% of Americans (something like that, I read an article earlier) that don't take most of their vacation time.  I work hard, but I also deserve breaks to recharge my batteries, so most years I use my 3 weeks and only carry over a few days.  By October, I will have accumulated another week, but even if I am not pregnant yet that's probably risky to take any more time off....maybe I can, I'm not sure, I'll do the math closer to the time.  So basically after my vacation in a couple of weeks, I won't be getting another one until at least April of next year.  Ugh, that's so going to suck. 

I know it's a trivial problem, a lot of people's job, if they even have one, doesn't give good vacation time.  And many don't have good maternity time so I know I am lucky to have all of that, but still, the idea of going 10 months without a week off makes me a little short of breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment