Thursday, January 30, 2014

First NST- 33 wks

Boo passed with flying colors.  At first I wasn't so sure, it was a good 5-10 minutes before she moved at all, and even then it was a "I think she just moved so I'll hit the button just in case".  But around the 15 minutes mark she put on her party shoes.

For those that don't know, a non-stress test is used to measure her movements and her heartrate during those movements.  Just as our heartrate increases when we run up the stairs, hers should increases with kicks and movements.  So they hook me up to the monitor for at least 20 minutes so you can hear her heart thumping away, and whenever I feel a movement, I click a little button so they can measure what her heart rate did during those movements.  The machine prints out her cardiac activity and every time I push the button it makes a little hash mark on the print out.  In diabetics, the placenta could begin to deteriorate in late pregnancy, which is why they won't let me go past 39 weeks.  So the NST wants to make sure her heart rate increases as it should, because if she didn't do well it could mean she isn't getting enough oxygen and there is an issue with the placenta, among other things.

I had to see the doctor today too, so about halfway though he came in and went over my chart, mostly doing paperwork but asking if I had any questions.  I have a ton, but most of them I am more comfortable asking my more regular doctors.  Well as soon as he walked in the room she went nuts; crazy movement, making lots of noise on the monitor, her hear rate went from the 150's to the 180's and 190's.  A few times when he was doing paperwork and she was really active, he'd say ok ok, I hear you.  Haha, he's nice, I like him. 

So I won't have another growth scan till about 37 weeks.  I was hoping to have one soon to see how big she is....but then again they can be off up to a pound or two either way so maybe it's better I don't know.  A woman on my board had her twins last night, she is 3 days further than me and her babies were 4 something and 5 something.  She posted pictures, and they look just like slightly smaller versions of regular outside babies.  It was kind of crazy to know that Boo probably looks and weighs similar to them. 

I keep picturing her as Kayla's size, and while Kayla looked just like a miniature newborn, she didn't have any baby fat and her skin was still quite transparent so you could see her blood through her skin.  But right now Boo is a full 11 weeks further developed than Kayla was when she was born, it's just so weird to think of how big and outside-baby like she must be.  So when the NST was done the nurse came in to check and she said oh that's perfect, we couldn't ask for better results!  Whew...we have many more to go, but another victory under the belt. 

So I start them twice weekly next week, but I don't go back for a regular appt for two weeks, so I guess I am still on the two week rotation.  I was worried that the weeks I have a regular appt I would have to go three times, which would be really hard to get that much time off.  But so far they're scheduling my regular appt along with one of my NSTs.  The next two weeks, I go on Tuesdays and Fridays at 2:30, so I have to leave work at 2 on those days.  That makes only 6 hours a week I have to make up, so I'll go in an hour early everyday, and one day a week I have to work through lunch.  That's easy peasy.  I actually like going in early....getting up one hour earlier really doesn't feel any different, the traffic is better that early, and it's nice to have the office to myself for at least half an hour before other people come in.  After tomorrow I've got 6 weeks left of work, so that's a pretty sweet deal to get to leave at 2 pm every Tuesday and Friday.

So it looks like that stroller probably will work out.  As I was putting it together I noticed the instructions gave two versions for most steps.  So it's very poor wording, but I am thinking the bit about not accepting the carseat we're getting is aimed toward the other version of that stroller.  But we'll know for sure when we get the carseat. 

I was on my way home from the doctor today and suddenly got the overwhelming urge to throw up.  Usually tums will squash it, but I don't even think tums would have done the job this time, and I didn't have any with me anyway.  So I'm looking around, trying to figure out where to throw up.  I finally managed to dump all of the garbage out of the insulated garbage bag I have in the car and was prepared to pull over.  I fought it really hard, but thankfully after several minutes it finally passed.  I haven't puked in several weeks, and I would have just given in but my shower is Saturday.  I look weird for days after throwing up, all puffy faced and blotchy with broken blood vessels.  I've already been struggling for the past week to clear up the zits, so I didn't want to deal with puke face too. 

Well our plumbing is all done, so I am off to take a lovely shower with real water pressure!


No comments:

Post a Comment