Saturday, January 11, 2014

Strange advice-30 wks 2 days

Every pregnant woman has heard it.  The unsolicited advice.  It ranges from stuff we already know (no drinking and smoking, duh) to the very bizarre like don't raise your arms over your head so the cord won't get wrapped around the baby's neck.  But I heard a good one yesterday.

That lovely lady at work that was appalled that we named Kayla, came up to me yesterday.  Up until now she hadn't said a word to me about this pregnancy, which I rather enjoyed, and decided on this gem for her first comment.  In a low voice and a serious tone she asks me, "are you being careful driving over potholes"? 

I stood there for a second, looked at her strangely and she went on to clarify, "not what it can do to your car, but what it might do to your body, you have to be careful".  I just kinda laughed and said, "she'll be ok, she's well cushioned in there", and walked away.  Just wow.  I know I am catuious about things, but nobody has ever miscarried because they drove over a pothole.  If human beings were that fragile there would be a lot less people on this earth.

Well at least her concern made me chuckle instead of wanting to punch her in the face.  People are starting to come out of their shell around me at work.  I guess as the belly gets bigger, they feel more comfortable talking to me about it.  Hopefully they don't get too comfortable though, I've rather enjoyed being left alone. 

My shower is three weeks from today, and I'm so excited.  It's going to be great.  I have also started the official countdown at work, just 9 weeks left.  I cannot wait to be off for 12 whole weeks.  I'm sure it will go faster than I want it to, but I'm grateful for it.  I'm starting to get really excited for her to be here.  Not that I wasn't before, but before I couldn't think about it too much.  I had to focus on making it out of first tri, and past 22 weeks, and Vday.  But now, we're so close, less than 10 weeks to go and I can finally start focusing on the future past my due date.  I picture rocking her in the glider, putting her down in her crib, snuggling with her.  I can't wait until she's here.

Yeah I'm terrified, but what new mother isn't?  I feel like my excitement is finally on an equal level, or maybe even higher than my fear (most days).  Yesterday was a rough pregnancy day though.  It was a very long day at work and the slower the time ticked by, the more obvious my discomfort got.  I had a lot of stretching pain, especially around my belly button, so gross! 

At night I feel twice as big as I do during the day, so it only got worse.  My upper back has been killing me.  It's not pain per se.....even before I ever got pregnant for the first time I was terrified of having issues with my discs while pregnant.  For about three or four summers in a row I had bad episodes where they bulged and for weeks at a time I could barely walk and spent weeks on end in physical therapy.  Fortunately, it's been quite a while since I've had a bad episode.  Unfortunately, I suspect frequent bike riding is the culprit.  The summers that I did a ton of riding were the summers (and always only summers) that I had issues.  The last few summers, I might get out and ride here and there, but nothing like the 5-6 days a week I used to do.

Anyway, my doctor always warned me that being pregnant and the extra weight in the front could do a number on my lower back, so I'm very thankful that it's my upper back that is the issue.  And like I said, it's not pain it's stiffness, feels like I'm all in knots.  Basically my upper back just feels exhausted.  Laying on my back on the floor doesn't help; I get slight relief if I have my husband hug my upper back really tight and crack it.  I'm thinking maybe a prenatal massage might be in order. 

No comments:

Post a Comment