Tuesday, December 4, 2012

First U/S- 6 wks 1 day

It went great, everything is fine :)  Whew, I feel so much better.  I told the tech I was nervous, so the second she put the wand in she said I see a fetus and a heartbeat so you can relax.  Wow, I felt the weight of the world lift off me when she said that.  I'm really going to miss my RE's office, everyone is so nice and caring there.  Not that they aren't at my OB, but I just feel like they take extra special care of me.  An OB probably doesn't see as many losses or high risk as the RE does, so I can picture a tech at an OB's office not being as considerate to tell me the very second she could that everything was fine.

So she did the measuring and all that and she printed out a picture.  I can't stop looking at it....when she was all done she magnified the screen and let me see, I was surprised I could see as much as I could.  I mean it's definitely tiny, but I could see the shape of the baby, I thought it would still be a little speck, even magnified. Later when I text my best friend she asked if I cried, lol no.  I just sat there grinning like a fool.  I don't seem to cry when it is appropriate, ie being proposed to, seeing two lines on a pregnancy test, seeing my baby for the first time via ultrasound.  But no, give me a sappy commercial or even a friggin Christmas song and I get all choked up.  So then I met with my doctor who did another exam.  She said I am measuring right at 6 weeks.  By my count I am 6 weeks 1 day but I expected that I could be off by a day. 

She went over all of the stuff I cannot do, cannot eat.  I'm pretty bummed about the no meat and no soft cheeses things....I had read that meat was fine as long as you nuked it first, and soft cheese was fine as long as it was made with paesturized milk, but she said no, none at all.  I get the argument for not being too paranoid about things, but in all honesty we worked really hard to get pregnant.  I would much rather err on the side of caution....I know the risk is low, but we're talking about my baby, for a frigging sandwhich.  It would be one thing if eating it just risked me getting sick and not feeling well, but when it could risk my baby's life?  Um yeah, I think I can go without.  I'm just going to have to do some creative shopping to find out what I can eat for lunches and easy meals.  Subway and Jimmy Johns are high on my list when I want something cheap and relatively healthy. 

I have my second u/s in two weeks, so I will be 8 weeks by then.  Then that's it, I am released to my OB.  I called them today and they got me an appointment for two days after Christmas with the OB nurse, and then a week after that I see the OB.  So far both of my appointments at the OB are for 7:30 in the morning, meaning I should only be an hour late to work.  Since my boss is awesome, she lets me not take a lunch that day so I don't have to use any sick or vacation time.  Hopefully I can skate through most of my appointments that way, saving vacation time for my maternity leave, and sick time for those days I just cannot peel myself out of bed.  I just have to remember those days will get harder and harder in my third tri, so I have to try to come in when I can so I have more time off when I am feeling awful.

I text the picture to Ryan and all my friends when I left the office, and Ryan called me a bit later.  I loved how excited he sounded in his voice.  He was really upbeat....granted the last pregnancy didn't last very long at all, but he didn't want to talk about it much, didn't seem very excited.  So I love how geeked he is.  He said he IS coming to the next ultrasound, he doesn't care if his bosses are mad :)  I hate to make his work life more difficult, but he deserves a few hours off to see his baby on the ultrasound for the first time for crying out loud.

So I sent out three calendar reminders to everyone at work about my next three appointments, and immediately my friend asks if I am pregnant.  I think I did a decent job of lying....I wouldn't mind telling her, but I know it's very hard to keep secrets.  As much as she may intend to, I could see her blabbing to at least one person, and then that person tells someone and so on.  I feel good about this pregnancy, but 6 weeks is way too early to tell everyone at work.  I am sure a lot of people will suspect, but hell they've been suspecting since the day we got married, it's just how it is when you're a woman of child bearing years.  And really they can suspect all they want, but I don't have to tell them until I am ready. 

Ah, well I'm going to spend a nice relaxing afternoon, content for now.  Yeah being at work isn't very relaxing, but not much could ruin my mood right now.  Now hopefully I can stay content for at least the next 10 days or so, before nerves start setting in for my next ultrasound.  I also had better enjoy it, I doubt I will get another at my OB for quite a while....definitely won't be every two weeks, that's for sure.

3 comments:

  1. Awww I wanna see the pic! So glad it went well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll post a pic when I get home. People at work are already getting suspicious, I can't let them see me upload it ;)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete