Friday, December 28, 2012

Lab results- 9 wks 4 days

So I did my 24 urine on Christmas day, took it to the lab the next day and did my fasting glucose test.  The nurse called with my results today....my urine had an eleveated amount of protein in it, but I am currently on meds for a bladder infection (which is weird because I have no symptoms for it) and she said the meds could cause this so they want to repeat it.  Great, I have no more days off coming up so I'll have to do it on a Sunday and drop it off at the lab on Monday morning.  The lab doesn't open until 8am which is when I have to be at work so I'll have to come in late.

Once I share my news at work I have no problem coming in late for appointments because everyone knows pregnancy comes with a lot of doctor appointments.  I am even fine with sharing with my boss that I am seeing a high risk doctor and may have a few more appointments than normal.  But until then, I hate asking for time off, especially since I have a new boss starting next week.  I don't want him to think I am a slacker, but I am also not ready to share yet.

So my glucose test came back excellent she said;  I didn't ask but I will when I see the doctor, but I am assuming for now that means I am not diabetic.  And if I can get on a healthy diet I should be ok....after all this junk food that's been shoved in my face lately, I am actually excited to go get some fruits and vegetables tomorrow.  I also do not have hep b or c or HIV which isn't a shocker, and I am not anemic.  She said my levels for that are great and better than her and she isn't even pregnant.  She's looking into whether or not my insurance will cover a glucometer, she said often they don't if you're not on insulin.  I'll have to get clarification on that...if they think I need one is that just to keep things in check so I don't become diabetic, or am I diabetic but just not bad enough to be on insulin? 

So I am scheduled for my NT scan on the 14th but my husband and I discussed it, I don't think we'll be doing it.  We aren't thrilled at how inconclusive the results can be....I get that for the vast population, it's fairly accurate but I don't like that a negative result still doesn't guarantee the baby is ok and a positive result doesn't guarantee the baby has something wrong.  It wouldn't change what we would do anyway, unless my life was actually in danger, we would not terminate if something was wrong, so I don't see the point of taking on any potential worry.  I would also not take the risk, no matter how small, of a miscarriage to have an amnio for further testing if something did show up.

I am a little annoyed though that the doctor's office didn't really explain any of it.  It wasn't until a few days after they scheduled me for it that I realized what it was.  They just said my next ultrasound, they didn't say what they would be looking for and that it is optional.  They gave me a pamphlet but it's obviously written by the labs that adminster the test since it sounds like a commericial, totally pushing the woman to have it.  I see my doctor a week before the test so I need to ask more about it.

The only reason I am dissapointed about not having it is I was looking forward to another ultrasound.  By then it will have been about a month since my last, and if I don't have it, my next ultrasound won't be until the 18 week anatomy scan.  So I am wondering if I could still have the ultrasound, just don't do any of the actual testing or whatever for downs.  Not sure if that's possible but it doesn't hurt to ask I guess. 

No comments:

Post a Comment