Saturday, December 22, 2012

OB Nurse- 8 wks 5 days

So I had my first appt Friday with the OB nurse.  It was kind of odd, just because they are all confused as to whether or not I am diabetic.  I thought it was clear that I was being sent there because of my risk for developing gestational diabetes, but they all seemed to think I was already diabetic but then didn't think so based on my chart.  So the entire appointment consisted of peeing in a cup, and answering a million questions that were on the new patient forms that I had filled out a brought with me.  Seriously?  I know that isn't the OB nurses' only job, but wouldn't intake appts be a lot more productive if they didn't spend the entire time asking all the same questions I already answered?

So the good news of the appt was that they want me to try lose weight.  I didn't think it was safe to, but as long as it's not drastic and it's monitored, it's fine.  So that makes me happy since I was really worried about gaining too much, and while I am thrilled I got pregnant so quickly once things started working again, I was a little bummed that I thought I couldn't keep trying to lose.  I forgot to ask how much they would like to see me lose.  I would imagine not more than 10 or 15, but anything would help.  The only downside to it is Christmas is in two days....ha, great time to get back to my diet.

I did well with breakfast and lunch today, but my brother came over tonight and we got Chinese to watch the Dexter finale.  I had already seen it of course but he hadn't.  But the good news is I don't see my doctor again (well, for the first time since I only saw the nurse) until the week after Christmas so maybe if I do well enough the week after it will show at least a pound loss.  

So they're sending me for all of these tests to see if I am actually diabetic or not.  So yay, guess what I get to do on Christmas day?  I get to pee in a jug all day.  It wouldn't be a big deal, I've had quite a lot of experience peeing in things for the last 18 months, but the bad thing is, we'll be at my inlaws most of the day.  And it has to stay refrigerated, so I have to take my jug o' pee to my inlaws and keep it in their fridge.  Also when I pee, I have to take my whole arsenal to the bathroom with me.  They gave me this huge jug, plus this tray thing that I put between the toilet lids so I can just pee into it without trying to aim into a little glass.  Thank God they have a fridge in their garage so at least I don't have to put it in the kitchen fridge, yuck!  It should also be cold enough that I could keep it outside.  And I am lucky that their guest bath is right off the door to the garage, so I can hopefully discreetly grab it out of the fridge and run to the bathroom without anyone being the wiser.  I will of course tell my MIL that there is pee in her fridge though, lol.  Nope, that's not apple juice!  

Reminds me of the time my nephew got ahold of Ryan's spit bottle.  He was spitting in a coke bottle, so of course, it looked like (disgusting) coke to a 2-year-old.   Ryan kept moving it away from him, but he must not have been paying attention one time cause suddenly my nephew start's crying...like screaming and crying, and throwing up.  We couldn't figure it out until someone saw the bottle nearby.  Ugh, barf.....poor baby.  I cannot believe Ryan's sister didn't rip him a new one for not being more careful. 

So I am wondering, for the sake of being discreet, if it would be easier to leave the jug o' pee and the tray at home, and just bring the pee cup that I used for TTC, and some other smallish container to store it in.  I got pretty good at peeing in that cup with no major spillage.  I guess the question though is what other container could I take, that I am fine with ruining.  I'll put my husband on the job, he is good at solving strange problems like that.  Ah, I think I got it....an empty Gatorade bottle.  I could rinse it out really well and run boiling water in it to make sure there are no traces left of Gatorade.  It's small so it would be more discreet, and has a wide mouth so I can pour the pee into it easily from the pee cup.  I'm a genius. 

So after peeing in a jug all day on Christmas, I have to take it to the lab on Wednesday.  Good thing I am off work that day, but it's too bad I have to keep running back and forth between here and the lab.  I was supposed to see the doctor that day, but they had to reschedule for a week later, so at least that is one less thing I have to do.  So that is my fasting glucose test.  When I wake up, I can't eat anything, I have to go to the lab, give them my pee and get bloodwork done.  Go home and eat, and then wait two hours and go back to the lab for more bloodwork.  I have to repeat that on Saturday.....hopefully that's all the testing I have to do for them to determine whether or not I am diabetic, which I really don't think I am.  But at my last bloodwork before I got pregant, I was borderline, so I suppose it's possible I have crossed the line since then but I hope not.

Whew, so much testing to do.  I'll be glad when it's done.  

No comments:

Post a Comment