Friday, February 22, 2013

It's Friday!

I just have to get through the rest of today, which shouldn't be bad since all of my work is already done.  The weekend always goes too fast, but it was be enjoyable and then I've just got to get through one more work day and then my A/S is Tuesday morning!  I ordered the cupcakes the other day, so I'll pick them up on my way home from work, then we'll go to my MIL and FIL's, then my SIL's and then my brother's.  It's working out perfectly that everyone will be home from work and available when we need to stop over.  Now I just hope B cooperates, otherwise we'll have a lot of cupcakes for no reason, lol.  I wonder how long they keep for.

I'm just so excited to see the baby again and make sure everything is ok.  And I am also dying to know the sex....I can't wait to call it him or her instead of it, and to call it by it's name.  I am glad picking the sex isn't up to us.  Sometimes I want a girl really badly, and then other times it's a boy that I really want, so I am glad the decision is made and I'll be so thrilled either way.  I get emotional when I think about the moment they say which it is.

I am doing so awesome on my diet.  The only time I "cheated" was Tuesday night, I had a pepsi with dinner, but that was only because I found this awesome pasta that looks and tastes like white pasta.  It does have 41 carbs per serving but 5 of them are fiber so you can deduct that, and then 31 of them are non digestible carbs, leaving only 5 grams of carbs that are digestible.  I am not quite sure what that means, but I assume it means I only count the 5 grams, this brand was recommended to me by my dietician.

I tested my blood sugar two hours later and it was right at 130, which my BS is usually in the 110-115 range, but it was skewed because I tried two pieces of sugar free candy an hour after dinner.  So I think I will try it again next week but this time eat nothing in the two hours after like I am supposed to and see how I do.  If I could have one pepsi a week, that would be fantastic.  I picked up McDonalds for my husband the other day for lunch (I got myself GD diet friendly arabic food) and I had a sip of his coke on the way home.  I am a pepsi fan, but oh Lord it was so heavenly. 

I just can't believe my will power.  Last weekend at my Godson's first birthday, I limited myself to two small skinny slices of pizza, no breadsticks, a bowl of salad, water, and I cut my slice of cake in half and only had the one half (though I have to admit, it was a huge slice to begin with).  In the past if I were just trying to eat better to lose weight, I would have declared it a special day, probably had two or three regular size slices of pizza, at least two breadsticks, maybe some salad, a couple of pops and I would have ate that whole huge slice of cake.

The sugar free candy my husband bought me the other day is in the cupboard, it's a bag of fun size hershey chocolate and fun size peanut butter cups.  You can tell a little they are sugar free, but for the most part they are pretty damn good.  Ordinarily I would probably take a few pieces while making dinner, maybe a few after, maybe another few at the end of the night.  Basically both bags would be gone in just a few days.  But now, I had the two pieces the night we first got them, and last night I calculated that I was a few carbs short with dinner, so I took two peices of chocolate and one peanut butter cup.  I put it on my dinner plate and when I was done with dinner I had my little dessert and the thought of getting up for more never crossed my mind.

This is seriously the easiest diet I've ever been on.  I like it a lot better than having to count calories or even weight watchers points.  I am almost never hungry or feel deprived because I am eating almost every 2-3 hours.  I am supposed to be eating a certain amount of fat and protein as well, but mostly I've been focusing on my carbs.  My numbers, aside from the candy spiked one, have been excellent so I figure some meals I might not get enough fat and or protein, but in others I go over so it all balances out.  It's also a lot easier to avoid the bad fats, when you also have to avoid the yummy carby goodness they are usually wrapped in.

My nurse agreed that now that I have my glucometer, I don't have to go to the lab once a week for blood draws, but she does want me to go one last time tomorrow and test with my glucometer as soon as I am done just to make sure I'm getting the same readings.  I did test last week, but I did my fasting BS right when I woke up, and it wasn't drawn at the lab until about an hour or more later, so I am fine with going one more time. 

The only thing I do miss is binge eating, which isn't good for me anyway.  But on friday nights I always looked forward to sitting down in front of a good movie or something and just eating what I wanted with no restrictions.  But if I'm being honest with myself, it probably hurt me more than I acknowledged.  It often messed up all the good I did all week, and I think once you allow yourself to eat so much and so poorly, it just makes you want to do it more.  So as much as I always said my binging would just be on Fridays, it often continued into the weekend as well.  I can still have bad stuff, I just have to do it in moderation.  Like at McDonalds I can still have a 10 piece nugget and a small fry (no pop though), at Long John Silvers I can have three chicken planks and two hush puppies...no fries, cole slaw or pop, but really the chicken and the hushpuppies are the best part of going there.

Of course in addition to eating moderated servings, I will only eat those things on Fridays....but it's nice to know we can still do our Friday night out.  Last week and this week I'm keeping it pretty healthy since my numbers on Saturday are sent straight to my doctor, I am too nervous to eat McDonalds, even in moderation the night before a blood draw.  So last weekend I had a medeteranian salad with steak and a little bit of pasta and a roll, tonight I am likely having a chicken carver sandwhich and green beans from Boston Market.  Still yummy, but still healthy.

I lost another pound this week, so since I started this diet I have lost almost 2 pounds, making my overall weight gain this pregnancy so far just 5.8 pounds.  I know as I get further along I might start gaining just due to baby weight and fluid and such, but I think it's very well feasible that I won't gain anymore "fat weight".  Even if I only have a 7 pound baby, which isn't too likely given our genes and the GD, that puts me at almost 13 pounds gain, plus figure in blood, placenta, fluid, etc, so I should be able to keep my overall weight gain to 20-25 pounds which I should basically lose it all when the baby is born.  I also started walking four times a week and adding in yoga twice a week.  I am feeling really good...I think the second tri energy has finally appeared.  I still have moments of fatigue, but overall I am feeling much more energetic.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are doing a great job with your diet and exercise. I'm glad I found your blog because it reminds me that I need to eat healthier and not gorge on carbs and fatty things. I've gained 19 pounds already and I'm only 20 weeks along- scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, everyone gains differently. If your doctor hasn't expressed any concern, I wouldn't worry too much.

      Delete