Saturday, February 23, 2013

Sushi

Ryan and I went to Yotsuba in Ann Arbor tonight.  Oh.my.God, it was so good.  This is coming from a person who two years ago would have never even gone near sushi.  Ok, well an ex did drag me to a sushi restaurant a few years ago...I begrudingly had a few pieces and then he got me Arby's on the way home since he promised he would still feed me as long as I tried the sushi.

A couple years ago we were out for Chinese that also has sushi and Ryan had me try a few pieces of crunchy crab roll.  I thought it was really good, but ever since I got pregnant I've been dying for it.  We went out to that same chinese place a few months ago but it was rather unsatisfactory.  The waitress, working in a chinese/suishi restaurant couldn't help us order what we wanted.

So anyway, we went tonight.  The crunchy crab roll was good, the cucumber roll was so fresh and good, we also got something with bbq chicken and I think shrimp, and we got some kind of dynamite roll, I forget what all was in that but it was good.  But just for myself because my husband doesn't like it, I got a coconut shrimp roll.  Even outside of the sushi category, it was literally one of the best foods I've ever had in my entire life.  I think if we ever go again, I'll have to get two rolls, and then just maybe a few pieces of cucumber roll and crunchy crab roll.

So, for the first time in a few weeks I just kind of ate whatever I wanted at dinner.  I mean, I tried looking up how many carbs were in the crunchy crab roll, but we really had no way of knowing what we were going to order ahead of time, and I don't even know if we could find a universal  nutrition information because some of the rolls might have been more exclusive to that particular restaurant.

So anyway, I just ate, enjoyed it and figured one meal wouldn't kill me.  So I did test two hours later, wowza!  I believe my BS should be anywhere from 120-130 or below.  Most meals it is in the 110-115 range....the highest it's been was right at 130 but that was when I messed up and had a peice of sugar free candy an hour between dinner and testing.  So today's reading was 170!  I guess sushi is worse for me than I realized.  Probably the only thing that's bad for me is the rice, and I didn't think it was much since each piece has so little, but honestly I probably ate the equivalent of like 3 rolls...so I guess that is probably a lot of rice.  Oh well like I said, one meal won't kill me.  When dealing with something like diabetes, you have to learn what you can do and what you can't and some days there will be a special occasion and you can only do you're best.  Clearly we won't be going out for sushi every week or even every month.  In fact I wouldn't be surprised if we don't eat it again for the rest of my pregnancy.


No comments:

Post a Comment