Thursday, October 27, 2016

Capture your grief, day 27

27. FAMILY IS FOREVER | Your child is a part of your family forever. There will never come a day when you are no longer their parent. Until the end of time, you are family. Share about your family today. Who would be in your family portrait? Remembering that family does not have to be blood relatives.


My family portrait would of course include myself, Ryan, Kayla, and Emily.  Our parents, as they have always been such a huge support for us, regarding Kayla and just everything.  We really lucked out when it comes to parents.  My brother and his wife, and my husband's sister, brother, and their kids.  Our other nieces and nephews as well.  My grandparents have passed on, but they would have to be in it as well.  I would also include our best friends...they are definitely family to us.  I would also want to include my aunt and cousin who live in Hawaii.  Technically my great aunt and...second cousin?  It's my grandpa's aunt and her daughter.

I didn't actually meet them until I was in my 20's.  My aunt came to visit for the first time in years, so she, my grandma, my mom and I spent the day together and had lunch.  I just kind of tagged along for something to do, I didn't mind meeting my aunt, but I also wasn't dying to meet her.  Until then she was a stranger to me, whose name I heard mentioned from time to time.

Well she and I ended up clicking right away, we chatted the entire time and when she went back home I wrote to her and she wrote back, and soon we start exchanging emails.  After a few years her daughter began writing to me as well, even though I hadn't ever met her in person.  Fast forward 13 years, we all still write to each other every month or so, I sent pictures of Emily, and back when we got married they flew in for the wedding.  They have been such a blessing in my life and I am so thankful to have met them.  They are always on the edge of their seat when I have good news to share, and they are my sounding board when things aren't going well.  They would definitely be in my family portrait.

On the same topic, I read this article a while back about this family that has lost their twin boys during pregnancy.  They went on to have two girls in the years following, but of course their boys are a part of their family as well.  They had family pictures taken, and the photographer was able to photo shop in two children's shadows, and the family posed so that they were holding hands with the shadows.  It was such a beautiful picture and a lovely way to include their angels.  We have a large framed family picture on the wall, but it always makes me sad when I look at it, because we are not a family of 3.  I think going forward, I'll have Emily hold Kayla bear in our family pics, so that Kayla can be represented as well.  But I definitely want to find a photographer that can do that for us one day with a shadow for Kayla.

No comments:

Post a Comment