Friday, June 7, 2013

Buy Buy Baby FAIL

So Buy Buy Baby can suck it and I will not be registering there the next time around.  Ryan and I had finished our registry a couple weeks before we lost Kayla.  So when we were in the hospital, I asked Amanda to call the store and ask if the registry could be hidden without deleting it completely.

I just knew I couldn't think about it right then, but I couldn't stand the thought of my registry being out there as if nothing happened.  If anyone didn't hear the bad news, I didn't want my registry out there for people to see and shop from.

So the other day I get a coupon in the mail from them, reminding me to buy whatever is still left on my registry before my July 26th due date.  Thank you.  As if it doesn't hurt enough, I get this coupon, smacking me in the face, reminding me that I should be due next month, I should be excited about my shower coming up and we should be doing last minute stuff to prepare for our baby.

I was pretty pissed since Amanda calling them was supposed to avoid this exact situation.  I emailed them and explained what happaned.  The customer service rep wrote me back and said they were not aware of my situation....um except they were.  I know Amanda told them because she passed along their condolences to me.  Then the rep tells me the only way to have avoided this was to delete the registry completely.  The person Amanda spoke to never told her this.  I also felt like the rep gave a very half hearted apology.  Like, sorry your baby died, but we didn't know and this is how it is.

Uh, how about you contact the store, see if she could find out who took the call and why they didn't inform Amanda that it had to be deleted.  While we're on the subject, I think it's bullshit that deleting it is the only option if you don't want to receive mailings.  First, it took us hours to register.  We are going to have more children, even if those items aren't available in the future, we could at least use it as a guide to remind us what types of items we wanted.  Second, we went from happy expectant parents to grieving parents in just a few hours.  The thought of deleting the registry made it seems like well, she's gone so we don't need that crap anymore, delete it.

They need to change their policy so that the registry can be put on hold, and opt out of all mailings, especially in the case of miscarriage.  I'm pretty appalled that a store such as them wouldn't be uber sensitive about this.  I could maybe see Target making this kind of mistake, they sell everything from baby stuff to furniture to groceries and medicine.  Buy Buy Baby is 100% baby, that's ALL they do.  Miscarriage is very common so it's quite alarming to me that a store that deals completely in baby items doesn't have an airtight policy in place for handling this sensitive topic.

So I wrote the rep back and explained a little further that I am looking for more than a weak apology.  I said she should have contacted the store to find out exactly what happaned and offer me some sort of resolution, such as we spoke to the employee and they will receive more training, or we will make sure this doesn't happen again.  Her response?  We are sorry the store did not provide you the correct answers.  We accept blame for their error even though we are not in the store, we are in a call center.

Holy hell, why don't you just say "We'll take the blame because that is what customer service policies tell us to do, but we weren't the ones that messed up so we really aren't to blame".  My brother's girlfriend was really pissed off about this, but was a little more removed from the emotions of the situation so she wrote a complaint on their facebook wall.  They quickly responded and asked for a more detailed email be sent, which she sent.  She forwarded me their response.  This one was much better.  It seemed this person was genuinely sorry, and they asked for more information like which store, who we spoke to, etc.

THAT is what I wanted in the first place.  I wanted to feel like somebody gave a damn and would do something about it.  I know people make mistakes, but how the mistake is handled speaks volumes for a company.  It was not handled the correct way to begin with.  Though I have to wonder, is action now being taken because our complaint was taken to social media where others could see it?

Regardless, I am done with that place.  Next time we'll register at Babies R Us.  Besides, I think it would be way too sad to go back in there and do it all again.

2 comments:

  1. Honestly, probably the only reason they are dealing with it is because it was on social media. Sadly, for a lot of companies, it takes the public knowing about their shitty service before any changes are made.

    I'm so sorry you had to deal with that. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I would be livid. That is a bullshit answer and a cop out. I am so sorry that you got that kind of treatment and response. You are right 100% they should have a policy for the circumstance and should teach their employees a course on empathy.

    ReplyDelete