Friday, September 13, 2013

GD woes- 13 wks 3 days

If gestational diabetes were a person, I would throw him out the window.  I would throw my glucometer, but it's too expensive to replace.

I don't know what I am doing wrong, I started my diet Wednesday morning and aside from I think one lunch and all of my breakfast meals, all of my readings have been too high.  My fasting readings have been crazy high, I don't think a single one has been below 100 and I need to have them be below 95.  There have been a couple of instances where I think I know what the issue was....I had a healthy lunch yesterday that would have been in the right zone, but my old boss brought me a teeny tiny portion of the grape salad she brought in.

It's my recipe, but she made it a few weeks ago using strawberry cream cheese instead of regular and wanted me to try it.  I mean yeah, she didn't stand there and watch me eat it, so I could have thrown it out and told her it was good, but I felt bad doing that.  It was such a small portion, like seriously 5 grapes so I thought maybe it would be ok.  But I'm sure grapes are high in carbs, plus they were tossed in cream cheese, sour cream and sugar (hello!) plus sprinkled with brown sugar.  Yeah so ok, I was stupid for eating it.

But all of my bed time snacks have been, or should be in the correct range and I cannot get my fasting bloodsugar down.  Well, it's gone down each day, but that just means from horrible, to bad, to still pretty bad.  I ate my snack earlier last night, thinking maybe I'd been eating it too late and while it was better than yesterday, still almost 10 points above what it should be.

I know last time around 20 weeks my numbers got harder to control, but at the very beginning like this I had no problem whatsoever.  I'm sure insulin is in my future, but it shouldn't be this early.  But again, for the most part I don't know what I am doing wrong.  I see the dietician in over a week, so hopefully she can help me figure it out.  I really hope it doesn't mean I have to eat even fewer carbs, this diet can be overwhleming enough without making it harder.

So for good news, my nurse called with the bloodwork results from the quad screening...all completely normal.  Whew, I love good results.  I looked at my old entry, Boo's measurement was the same as Kayla's and she had no signs whatsoever of any chromosomal abnormalities, so that's reassuring. 

Less than a week now until I get my cerclage in.  I'm very nervous...a little about the procedure, but more so because getting it in kind of marks the 'worrying period" for my cervix.  I think my next appointment after that will start my cervical checks, and I pray my cervix stays stable, at least until well past viability. 

No comments:

Post a Comment