Sunday, October 11, 2015

Godparents

When Kayla was born sleeping, we couldn't have her baptized because technically it is only for the living.  But the hospital chaplain came to our room, I held Kayla while my husband, dad, stepmom and my best friend gathered around and the chaplain did a blessing over Kayla.

It didn't occur to me at the time to name Godparents for obvious reasons.  A Godparent cannot guide a child who isn't here, and I didn't know I would have to think about such things.  My best friend has two sons, her oldest's Godparents are his uncle on his mom's side and his aunt on his dad's side.  I am her younger son's Godmother, along with his uncle on his dad's side as Godfather.

Following the same path, Ryan and I chose to go with family for our first living child, naming my brother and Ryan's sister as Emily's Godparents, and if we ever had another child, we intended our best friends, Amanda and Dan to be his or her Godparents.  Of course never say never, but another child is looking less likely each day.  But it makes me a little sad, because I would have loved for my best friend to be my child's Godmother.  We've been friends for 24 years, we were each other's maids of honor, I can think of no better person suited for the job.

So I decided today that despite Kayla not being here, I know Amanda loves her and she loves me.  When we lost her, Amanda was right by my side, she cried with me, she laughed with me when I needed to, she even wiped my nose when I cried and got all snotty :)  So it only makes sense for her to be my baby's Godmother, if only in spirit.  So I asked her today, and she accepted, saying she would be honored.  I hope Dan will also accept.  As parents of an angel baby, we are so so lucky to have so many people who love our child.

No comments:

Post a Comment